Wow! The end of 2019 has arrived! This is my favorite time of the year because it’s the time where we reminisce on the good and bad times over the past 12 months. New York (my hometown) has the most spantacular New Year’s Eve Party in the world and I look forward to watching the ball drop. If I’m still awake that is. Hey, I’m no longer in my 20’s 😉
Along with New Year’s Eve celebrations, New Year’s resolutions are the main topic in the many conversations that go on at these celebrations. As good as New Year’s resolutions are, I have decided to take another approach. I have called my new Year’s resolution The Closet Cleanse. This consists of the seven things that I will be leaving in 2019. Leaving old habits behind is a good way to bring in 2020. So, let’s get right to it!
1. GRUDGES: I don’t mean grudges against others. I mean grudges against myself. I have a huge problem with beating myself up whenever I make a mistake. Over the past 2-3 months, I’ve been coming to the realization that I should practice what I have known since I was a kid. Learning from your mistakes is the strongest path to growth. From now on, I will stop with the grudge holding and practice forgiving myself. This is the main thing that must be removed from my closet. Because if not, I will still be carrying unnecessary weight. Grudges: GOODBYE!
2. PROCRASTINATION: The verdict for me on this word is GUILTY. It’s been in my system for as long as I can remember. I have done it all throughout grade school and college. So, this will be a very difficult flaw to remove from my closet. However, with God, nothing is impossible!
3. SELF DOUBT: For years, i have thought my developmental delays would hinder my chances of getting a job, getting asked out, and launching this blog. I knew in my heart self doubt will not get you anywhere in life, but I stayed stuck in the toxic cycle. However, I came across a motivational speaker named Rachel Hollis one day. She was talking about her most recent book, “Girl, Stop Apologizing.” I learned a very crucial lesson: LIFE IS SHORT. She’s got a point! Life is short! This is why I have decided to throw away self doubt and get started on this blog. I’ve worked in a restaurant called PDQ since 2016. I was also asked out an ample amount of times haha. So, self doubt is being left behind in 2019.
4. FEAR: The unknown scares the daylights out of me. Recently, I have come to the realization that God is in charge of the unknown and placing trust in Him is the best thing I can do. I am keeping fear in 2019 and coming into 2020 with boldness. I will definitely takes risks if God says it’s worth the risk. Launching this blog was a risk! It was worth it. Fear- Goodbye! Courage- Hello!
5. SPORADIC READING: Over the past 4 months, I have been reading for leisure. However, there were times when I would read a book, then put it down and not read for weeks. Now, I’m almost finish with reading a second book. That’s pretty impressive for someone who recently began to take reading more seriously. Sporadic reading will be a no no in 2020! Reading also mitigates writer’s block! I enjoy learning and reading helps me learn something new every day 🙂
6. LONG POSTS: As much as I enjoy writing, there’s very little time for viewers to read long posts. Also, the shorter the posts, the more viewers they get. So, I will make an effort to make my posts shorter.
7. JUNK FOOD: As much as I enjoy junk food, it’s not worth risking my health over. I’m also at the age where I should be taking what goes in my mouth more seriously. So, cutting back on the junk is on the very top of my to do list. It will be a challenge, but worth it!!!!
Yep, these are the 7 things that 2019 can keep. Out with the old, in with the new! Every year is a new beginning. 2020: HERE WE COME!